Job Title: Director of Development
Reports to: Head of School
Nature and Scope:
The Lerner Jewish Community Day School seeks an experienced and dynamic Director of Development to provide leadership, strategic vision, and inspiration for the school’s fundraising efforts, including alumni, parent and community relationships. The Director of Development is directly responsible for all fundraising activities, including the annual campaign, endowment giving, special events and future capital campaigns. The Director of Development reports to the Head of School and will work closely with both the HOS and the Board of Trustees.
About The Lerner School:
The Lerner School is committed to achieving the highest standards of academic excellence, fostering learning of Jewish values, culture and traditions, while building a diverse and caring community, one child at a time. The Lerner Jewish community Day School opened in 1995 as the first Jewish day school in the Triangle region of North Carolina. Today, Lerner continues to thrive, with 150 students in early childhood through grade 5. Please visit our website to learn more about the Lerner School (www.lernerschool.org).
Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, and Short term Disability (via AFLAC), Paid Time Off. 12 month position. No relocation assistance offered.
Candidates must meet the following qualifications:
- 5+ years professional fundraising experience, including solicitation experience
- Bachelors degree or higher degree in fundraising, public relations, communications, or a related field
- Knowledge of the Triangle Jewish community and Jewish customs
- Experience working for a non-profit and/or educational institution
- Team focused with the ability to inspire others
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Pass a full background check
- Be proficient with Word, Excel, Gmail, Google Suite, and database software and able to learn other programs quickly
Other qualifications and qualities necessary in our Director are:
- Excellent organizational and customer service skills
- Detail oriented with the ability to plan and juggle multiple duties, when needed
- Ability to support staff, resolve conflicts, and be a strong team player and team builder
- A hands-on, hard worker who leads by example and it willing to get their hands dirty when necessary
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Designs, implements and manages all fundraising activities including annual giving, endowment and capital campaigns, special projects, and other school-related solicitations.
- Manages all strategies and activities for donor cultivation, solicitation, stewardship, and relationship building.
- Works with the Development chair and committee to identify and train a core group of volunteers to assist in the Annual Fund Capaign.
- Maintains contact, develops, and writes grant proposals for Federation, foundations and corporations.
- Develops and implements parent and alumni-based fundraising programs within the Annual Fund.
- Will build on existing programs to develop a comprehensive planned-giving program as needed.
- Responsible for Development budget.
- Coordinates all solicitation activities with HOS and Development Committee.
- Coaches and helps train new fundraising team members.
Public Relations, Marketing, and Recruitment
- Works closely with the Director of Admissions and Head of School to develop public relations plan and marketing plans.
- Writes copy for marketing campaigns and fundraising campaigns as needed.
- Designs and oversees production of all fundraising publications, including the Annual Report, and works with designers, copywriters and printers to produce development marketing materials.
- Coordinates marketing campaigns to support fundraising, including material development & strategy.
- Develops and implements strategies to promote the Lerner School mission to both the internal constituencies of the School and the community at large.
- Auction: Coordinates volunteers, oversees budget, develops themes and ad campaign; coordinates solicitations, mailings, meets and budgets. Negotiates contracts for venue and vendors. Other coordination as needed.
- Major Donor Events & VIP Day: Direct responsibility for event planning, execution, and post-event follow-up.
- Mishloach Manot: recruit and coordinate volunteers; oversee budget and database management. Develops all print materials. Orders all materials & oversees execution.
- Developing New Events: Works with Development Chair & HOS on publicity, soliciting sponsorships, securing donations, securing event site, etc.
- Creates & maintains office systems to support all Development projects and operations, including activities supporting stewardship & cultivation plans.
- Maintains donor and gift records database, files and gift processing.
- Coordinates development research activities.
- Manages the pledge reminder and acknowledgement programs.
- Manages and maintains the alumni database.
- Collects news and information about the members of the alumni for publication, and keeps accurate records of the school’s alumni.
- Develops Alumni programming and events to cultivate and engage alumni.
- Works with the Development Chair and Development Committee of the Board to develop strategies to initiate and meet fundraising goals.
- Assumes responsibility for all Development reports to the Board.
- Attends Board meetings as needed.
Salary commensurate with the candidate’s experience.